Monday, October 29, 2012

Learning to Accept Compliments


I am getting to that point in my fitness journey

where allot of the people close to me are noticing the change in my body!

Just this past week, several people asked me if I was dieting and told me I looked thinner!

Normally I shove off these kinds of comments as pish posh and say back no no.... you know how it goes. 

But this summer I heard an AMAZING speaker at one of my conferences for work, and it moved me when she said:

"From now on in your life when someone gives you a compliment, look them in the eyes and say thank you, that makes me happy to hear that."

She had been talking about how we only have a small amount of time on earth to make an impact and be with the people we love. 

SO, knowing how HARD I have been working and how LONG it has taken for these compliments to come *cough cough - Since July 1st

I have decided to take EVERY single compliment, and THANK that person for it. 

It REALLY feels weird, accepting compliments....but at the same time good?

Food: 

Breakfast: Eggs

Snack: Banana

Lunch:
Deli Meat!

Snack:
Pear & Almonds

Dinner: Sweet & Sour Meatballs with Mixed Veggies

After Workout: Protein Shake!!



I def need to get back into taking pics of everything!

I am VERY happy tho, because I started taking a notebook to the gym with me so I can track my workouts and the weight I use - as well as the times I finish in!

This way I will be able to track my progress! Yay!

Hoping everyone had a great monday!




13 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you; I met up with some work friends I'd not seen for months and I had to accept the compliments that were being thrown at me. It was pretty awkward :S


    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS awkward huh??? I guess it will be until people perceptions of us change!

      Delete
  2. I hear you- it's hard to accept them (especially knowing that I am not at my goal yet- and what do you say when someone (well meaning) tells you that if you go down to what the doctor wants you to (which is still on the high end of my height) they say I can't do that because I'll be skin and bones and too thin *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know EXACTLY what you are saying!!!! I'm nowhere close to being done, and they make it sound like I've dropped 20lbs! No ma'am more like 5 hahahahah

      Delete
  3. I had a difficult time accepting compliments for ages, but now I'm getting better at it, and I have to admit, I like it :)
    Keeping track of your workouts is a great idea to check your progress & make sure you're getting the most out of each workout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have confidence love :) You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm never sure how to react to compliments. I normally give people the same answer 'thanks it was a lot of hard work' but always feel quite uncomfortable talking about it.

    Though it's better to get compliments that disappointing comments. When I lost 30 lbs I told my dad and his answer was "Wow you must have been really fat before". For real.

    Have a good one!

    EMILIO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emilio I am sorry about your dad, that would be HARD for me!!!!! My mom is full of disappointing comments as well, tho she has not been as bad lately! Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  6. If you're interested in tracking progress in the gym I would recommend a great app/website called Fitocracy! I swear by it in order to remember, plan, and schedule workouts!

    xoxo, Grether

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to check that out!!!! :)

      Delete
  7. You need to upload some new pics of ya so we can see how awesome you look!! You def need to just say thank you and smile all of your hard work is paying off girl!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Dani,
    The one thing that I learned when I was a little younger than I already am is that you should always accept a compliment. Even if I don't fully agree with it, I always say, "Thank you".
    If someone is going out of their way to actually be nice to me and give me a compliment, then I should definitely thank them.
    I am really looking forward to following your posts.

    ReplyDelete