Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cake Pops Make me FAT


For those of you who don't know, over a year ago I started a Cake Pop Business -Cake Stix





Obviously I am on a current Cake Pop "break" right now. 

I LOVED owning my own business. I was becoming VERY successful...

But there are HUGE downfalls in owning your own business, especially a home - bakery....

1. You work at home, aka YOU NEVER LEAVE HOME & you have a hard time "leaving" the workplace. 

You know those days when your like, GAH I can't WAIT to leave work and go home??? You can't do that if you have a "home" business. 

2. No Personal Time

I am a student, so on top of homework and my OTHER part time job, I was constantly CRAMMED for time. Looking back, I don't think I TRULY enjoyed my year last year. I spend the whole year Making Cake Pops and trying to squeeze my boyfriend and family and homework into the mix somewhere. 

3. Constantly Surrounded by Temptation

When I first started my business I looked like this:


 I ended looking like this:

(you can see it in how ROUNDED out my face became)

I experienced HUGE weight gain. Was it because I was constantly surrounded by cake Pops? yes. 
Was it because I hardly left my house, and if I did I was going to do something Spending TIME with people? yes. 


4. Strained Work/Family Realtionships

My mom started out as my investor and support. It was so much fun at first working on my own and OWNING my own business. Then orders started picking up. One time I was going on a trip to Utah, and I needed someone to help out with my orders. My mom stepped in, and before I knew it she had joined me in business. Then, she began to take OVER my business. Before I knew it, I felt like I was WORKING for my mom. She was taking orders, buying supplies..... I LOVE my mom but anyone could have foreseen that this was NOT going to workout. 

My mom and I began fighting constantly. All the fun I had had in creating my business had gone. In the end, I just wanted a break. 


Why am I writing about this?

I have to do an informational speech in my COM225 class. I decided to teach the class How to Make Cake Pops.

While I began writing this speech, I realized I MISSED my business.

Is that Crazy???

After all the negative things I just wrote about, I still miss it. I just wish I could start again, but By myself and on my own terms!

The best part was creating all the cute new cake pops and hearing people's positive responses!













See more at www.cakestixaz.com

I talked to the Boyfriend and he thinks it's one of those things I should hang onto as a hobby, and make them for family, future children, parties, gifts, ect. That once it's a business, it loses it's fun.


What do you think??


4 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!! They are incredible! I wouldn't be able to eat them because I'd just want to look at them all the time.

    I can understand how putting a business angle to a hobby (the added pressure and responsibility) can take away some of the enjoyment. I think doing it for special occasions now is a good idea. You can always try the business out later - you've definitely got the talent for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dani!!! They look great super cute :)

    I think it can be difficult to make a fun big business. I have the idea that if you keep it small and simple (like if you were doing it for your family) it can be fun and still a business. But being on a big business on your own with no one to cover you if you need a break can be extremely difficult and stressing.

    Have a good one :)

    EMILIO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I want a cake pop Pronto. If you can find a way to make a living doing something you enjoy, there is nothing more sweet than that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cake pops are amazing! I think that you should keep at it since it's something you love doing, but only go into business with it when you know you've enough time to balance having it as a full time job and having time for your family/other things you love.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete